Monday, September 13, 2010

You know spring is here when you start getting dive bombed

                                          
Therein a Magpie watches.

This morning I was happily running an easy 6km run in warm mild morning sun, only to be squawked and flapped at by a Autralasian Magpie. This set off the obligatory flapping of arms, expletives which do not rhyme with magpie  and a sudden spurt in running pace. Yes, the magpie season is upon us. This will last for the next 3 months, so runners and cyclists need to be vigilant to their presence. At least there was no contact this morning. 

So far I have experienced dive bombing by magpies, plovers and once by a New Zealand Falcon. The falcon was certainly the most awe inspiring as it was the perfect sniper attack, dropping in total silence to target and lacerate the thinning area at the top of my head. The wound was a true badge of honour to the predatory skill of such a raptor. Plovers are just stupid with their flailing legs  and you just want them to shut up. The magpie however is my true adversary simply throught its persistence and by weight of numbers. Last year a most intent magpie attacked me 8 times over a stretch of 100 meters or so. I was very happy when its belt of pines was chopped down for firewood the following winter.

Apart from magpies , I am enjoying the relaxed countdown to the Abel Tasman Run, with touch wood, no injuries. My Beat Bowel Cancer Running Shirt will be ready tomorrow.

Ka Kite.

No comments:

Post a Comment